Friday, October 11, 2013

Triangular piecing


I finished my Medici top and had a day to play with at the end of the week. I had a good look through Chris' book Quilts beneath your feet for inspiration. There were so many wonderful ideas. I really wanted to finish something rather than have another UFO.

Chris had bought some great rulers from Creative Grids, now I've happily spent many a time browsing in quilting shops and been to a few shows and never seen them in australia. Of course I may have been quite blind!

I was particularly taken with a triangles quilt - I just needed to tweak it to make it mine. Chevrons have been huge in the fabric world for the last year and I was keen to do a take on a giant one. So late in the evening I had a thought - make it asymmetrical and have a play. 

I had bought a lovely fat quarter bundle of stonehenge fabrics from the fat quarter shop as I had trouble finding the fabrics here in Brisbane.

I sorted my fabrics into lights and darks, and set about cutting a 4" strip from each fat quarter. This yielded me enough triangles to make the small quilt. The ruler was really easy to use, simply lay it on the cut strip- cut along the edge and flip over and cut the next triangle. What I particularly liked were the non slip feet and the centre marking. The flattened top makes allowance for seams that my previous 60 deg ruler had confused me with. 

Onto the design wall and then I had fun arranging the lights and darks. They were easy to sew together in rows . 

To make the sashing easy I simply cut more triangles in the dark fabric - that way the points and rows matched up.



It reminds me of a Christmas tree, and may turn into my new Christmas wall hanging. I'd be keen to make another. Perhaps with a point on the right hand side triangle to off set the centre more.


No comments: